JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The El Salvadorian man who ran from Border Patrol and Nassau County deputies in November 2016 -- a foot pursuit that led to the death of Deputy Eric Oliver -- has now been charged with aggravated manslaughter.
In federal court in March 2017, Francisco Portillo-Fuentes, 27, pleaded guilty to a charge of illegal re-entry -- he had been deported twice before -- several months after he bolted from an immigration stop in Yulee. He was sentenced to two years in prison, then was to be deported for a third time.
"Mr. Portillo-Fuentes will think about Deputy Oliver and his family every day for the rest of his life," Assistant Federal Public Defender Mark Rosenblum wrote in a sentencing memorandum. "He wishes he had submitted to being taken into custody, rather than running away. At the instant he ran, all he was thinking about was being separated from his wife and children and the end of his dream of forging a better life for his family."
Oliver's father told News4Jax by phone on Monday that he doesn't believe that.
"I don't buy it. It's just an excuse for him to get back to his country," Douglas Oliver said. "He had every opportunity to stop the day Eric got hit."
The father said Portillo-Fuentes should have instead thought about the life he selfishly put at risk.
"He ruined not just our lives, he ruined the lives of Eric's brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles, and his daughter," Douglas Oliver said. "His daughter will never see her daddy. And she'll never get to see all the things that a daughter does with their father."
Instead of serving out his sentence in federal prison, which would be up in September, Portillo-Fuentes was transferred to jail to stand trial on state charges in Nassau County connected with Oliver's death.