GBI investigates death of toddler who family friend says was found in dryer
2-year-old girl died of hyperthermia, GBI says
BRANTLEY COUNTY, Ga. – The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating the heat-related death of a 2-year-old girl.
The toddler died Sunday in western Brantley County, near Waycross.
According to the GBI, the medical examiner said the toddler died of hyperthermia. A close family friend told News4Jax that the toddler was found in a dryer.
Neighbors said they were shocked to see law enforcement officers outside the home on Park Lane on Sunday.
"It was just crazy," neighbor David Williams told News4Jax on Tuesday.
He said he doesn’t think the toddler’s mother would put her daughter in harm's way.
"It's just an awful tragedy. She’s a good girl. She’s a good mom, takes care of her kid, goes to work. She does the right thing," Williams said. "For something like this to happen in our neighborhood is just awful.”
At this time, according to the GBI, no arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing.
Copyright 2019 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.