Multiple restaurants strike out during surprise health inspections

Photo does not have a caption

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Plumbing, pests and poor building conditions led to emergency closures for several restaurants in Northeast Florida counties when health inspectors visited last week.

In Duval County, Casa Maria on Third Street in Jacksonville Beach briefly shut down because of plumbing issues. Inspections said the restaurant had a floor drain under the dishwasher that was backed up with wastewater. Five flies and dirty shelves in the cooler led to more citations, according to state regulators' records. The restaurant reopened once the plumbing was fixed later that day.

VIEW INSPECTION REPORTS: Casa Maria Authentic Mexican

In Alachua County, Kevin's Kitchen has been closed since it failed an inspection last week.
Records show pest control was called after nearly 30 live roaches were found crawling around the kitchen -- some of them were even in a container of seasoning, tea bags and coffee. During a follow-up inspection, inspectors found the business had removed the closure sign and they issued another high-priority violation.

VIEW INSPECTION REPORTS: Kevin's Kitchen

Also in Alachua County, the Gelato Company and Eatery on Southeast First Avenue in Gainesville got the order to close after inspectors said more than two dozen rodent droppings were spotted in the kitchen. Inspectors also found four dead roaches and damage on the walls inside. It reopened later that day and has since passed a follow-up inspection.

VIEW INSPECTION REPORTS: Gelato Company and Eatery |
WATCH: Restaurants get bad news when health inspectors visit

In St. Johns County, the McDonald's on Nature Walk Parkway in St. Augustine closed for a day. It's going through renovations and inspectors said construction dust was settling in the kitchen. A high-priority violation was issued and the staff got to work with securing the kitchen. It reopened the next day.

VIEW INSPECTION REPORTS: McDonald's

Also in St. Johns County, the Sonic Drive-In on Fruit Cove Road made five high-priority mistakes, according to state officials. Hash browns, tomatoes and cheese are some of the items that posed a potential hazard, records show. Inspectors said multiple areas of the kitchen floor had standing water, while the slushy machine had a black mold-like substance inside. It was a failed inspection that was corrected a few days later with a passing score.

VIEW INSPECTION REPORTS: Sonic Drive-In