JACKSONVILLE BEACH, Fla. - A day before it officially closes its doors, Campeche Bay was one of several businesses forced to evacuate as a precaution during a gas leak Tuesday evening in Jacksonville Beach.
The Jacksonville Beach Police and Fire departments responded to the gas leak on 1st Street North near Latham Plaza. Firefighters said the leak was caused by a contractor who severed a two inch line under the road.
Campeche Bay was packed with people enjoying their meals. Unfortunately, the gas leak pushed them out.
"We were at max capacity here. We probably had $4,000 worth of food and drinks just walk out the door, but we've got to make sure everyone stays safe," said Colin Weaver, a manager at the restaurant.
Amber Davidson and Shannon Riley were turned away from the restaurant due to the leak. Davidson said her first job was at the restaurant.
"I worked there for four years, so I wanted to see everybody and say goodbye," Davidson said. "Shannon and I will be back."
Campeche Bay plans to open and close for the last time on Wednesday. The owners are retiring after 33 years.
Shortly after 7:30 p.m., Sgt. Smith with the Jacksonville Beach Police Department said the leak had been contained. A portion of 1st Street North was expected to remain closed until Wednesday.
Copyright 2019 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.