3 additional arrests made in deadly shooting of 5-year-old Jacksonville girl

Everyone believed to have been involved identified, Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Three more people have been arrested in the shooting death of a 5-year-old Jacksonville girl, who police said was shot in a car during an exchange of gunfire.

According to a news release Friday from the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, Adrain Cornelius Covington, 35, a third person suspected in the shooting, turned himself in to police. He was arrested and charged with one count of murder and two counts of attempted murder.

The Sheriff’s Office said a fourth person, identified as Tierra Beaufort, 25, was located and taken into custody along with Johnathan Hall, 31, who was wanted on a charge of aggravated battery, but that will likely be upgraded. Beaufort is also facing a charge of aggravated battery. Police said both were found in Clewiston after a tip was called in to First Coast Crime Stoppers.

Investigators said a fifth person, believed to be the driver of the vehicle that was used in the shooting, has been interviewed, but that person has not been arrested.

A total of four people have been arrested in the shooting, including Tom Everett Jr., 50, who was arrested not long after the shooting. He’s charged with second-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Police said Wednesday the car that was involved had been located. In Friday’s news release, the Sheriff’s Office said it believes all parties involved have been identified.

First Coast Crime Stoppers on Wednesday announced an increased reward totaling $4,000 for information related to the murder of 5-year-old Kearria Attison.

“She was one of my pride and joy grandbabies,” said Andrew West, Kearria’s grandfather. “Every time she saw me, she ran up and said, ‘Hey papa.’”

The young girl’s grandparents said her 4-year-old sister, Paris, was also in the car, along with the mother. They were outside a convenience store on Monoaco Drive when the shootout happened. Police said Paris was injured by some of the debris.

Police said based on their investigation and surveillance video from the scene, an argument between two groups of people escalated into a physical fight, which led to the shooting.

Investigators said the feud was over money -- $180.

“I’m glad the video did come out so everybody could see their faces,” West said. “It was horrible looking at it and knowing my grandbaby was right there.”

A memorial has been placed outside the convenience store to remember Kearria’s life. The family is still making funeral plans.

About the Author: