JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A fire that was sparked Thursday night at the Bentley Green Apartments in the Baymeadows neighborhood was caused by a lightning strike, according to the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department.
JFRD said a firefighter was taken to a hospital to get checked out. It’s unclear why, but his injuries were not life-threatening.
The fire was in the attic when firefighters arrived, and they were able to contain it to one area. JFRD said one unit is a total loss, the other three were being examined for smoke and water damage. News4JAX crews on scene said caution tape is now up preventing anyone from going inside. They also reported seeing a large chunk of the roof missing.
No residents were reportedly injured. The American Red Cross has been called in to help five adults.