JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A Jacksonville family has been living out of their truck for days after losing everything in a fire that broke out the night of Feb. 1.
Their Hillcrest home on Alpha Avenue was engulfed in flames caused by an electrical fire while they were asleep, giving them only minutes to escape with a few belongings.
Recommended Videos
Eva Connelly, who lived in the home for 15 years, said the fire started behind a wall near the fuse box panel.
“The fuse box panel was right there. It caught on fire behind the wall,” Connelly said. “Everything’s just been destroyed, and it’s heartbreaking because it’s everything we own.”
Connelly, who is disabled and receives Social Security, said her husband works as a mechanic and does whatever jobs are available, so they do not have a steady income. The family has been overwhelmed by the situation and needs help getting back on their feet.
RELATED: Jacksonville family loses everything in electrical fire at home of 18 years
“It’s just very overwhelming,” she said.
Their 12-year-old son is currently staying at his grandmother’s house and is not sleeping in the truck with his parents.
Connelly said her son has been deeply affected by the loss. “I feel sad for my son. He walked in the other day and cried just in his room, you know, and I don’t know how to fix it for him because we don’t have anything.”
The only food News4JAX could see at the house was a jar of peanut butter and jelly.
The city of Jacksonville has an emergency assistance program, but the family found the appointment line closed early on a Thursday morning.
When trying to find income-based housing, they learned wait lists can be as long as two years.
The family also explored Section 8 housing options, but the public housing and housing choice voucher program waitlists are currently closed.
The field office for Jacksonville’s Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has not had in-person staff since September, directing applicants to find help online, but the family struggled to find the voucher application.
In the meantime, the City Rescue Mission provided clothing to the family, and the Red Cross gave them about $800 last week, which covered five nights in a hotel.
News4JAX is continuing to work to connect the family with immediate help and housing resources.
Donations can be made to their GoFundMe.
Viewers can also call News4JAX reporter Sophia Vitello’s work cell at 904-339-4497 and leave a voicemail with how you would like to help the family. She will work to connect you with them.
Stay with News4JAX for updates on this story.
