Tropical Shrimp Skewers with Pineapple Rum Glaze
and Coconut Rice Pilaf
1 ½ pounds extra large (21-25 ct) shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon garlic powder
5 cups fresh pineapple, large chunks
1 cup Rum
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup Pineapple juice
3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine salt, ginger, garlic powder. Evenly toss shrimp to coat.
2. Combine 2 cups of the pineapple, rum, brown sugar, pineapple juice and garlic in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until pineapple begins to soften. Transfer to a blender or use a bur mixer and blend until smooth. Return to pot and simmer to reduce to syrup consistency. This may be done up to 3 days in advance.
3. Skewer pineapple and shrimp, alternating, on wooden skewers, starting and ending with pineapple.
4. Brush shrimp skewers with pineapple rum mixture and grill over medium high heat until pink and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes per side. Brushing with pineapple rum mixture.
Coconut Rice Pilaf
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (14 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
¼ cup chicken stock
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Combine olive oil and rice in medium saucepan. Sautee until rice is coated with oil and just begins to brown.
2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 18 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
3. Fluff with a fork
4. Cover and let sit for 5 more minutes.