Crispy Potato Cakes
Total Time - 30 minutes (Makes 12 servings)
Nonstick aluminum foil
6 large gold potatoes
1 large yellow onion
2 large eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
1/4 cup potato starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons canola oil (+more if needed)
2 tablespoons fresh chives
Sour cream (optional, for serving)
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Line baking sheet with foil. Shred potatoes and onion on box grater into medium bowl. Transfer potato mixture to cheese cloth and squeeze as much liquid from potato mixture as possible. Combine in large bowl: potato mixture, eggs, potato starch, baking powder, salt, and pepper until blended.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large sauté pan on medium-high 2 3minutes. Place 4 (1/4 cup) mounds of potato mixture in pan (spread each into a 3-inch patty). Fry potato patties 2 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining potato mixture (adding more oil if needed). Arrange cooked latkes in single layer on baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm.
3. To serve, thinly slice chives. Top latkes with sour cream (if desired)and sprinkle with chives.
Total Time - 40 minutes (Makes about 3 cups)
1 rib celery
3 green onions
1 small jalapeño pepper
1/4 cup fresh dill
1 tablespoon capers
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grain mustard
1/3 cup prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dill pickle relish
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1. Finely chop celery (1/3 cup), green onion (1/2 cup), jalapeño (1/4cup), and dill (1/4 cup). Drain capers and finely chop. Juice lemon (2tablespoons).
2. Combine all ingredients in medium bowl and whisk to fully incorporate. Chill 30 minutes (or overnight); serve.