Space heater checklist: Gathering safely in the warmth of your home
Jacksonville Fire-Rescue Department shared a video of flames and heavy smoke pouring out of a New Town Home. JFRD believes the blaze was sparked by a space heater. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, between 2008 and 2010 there were nearly 1,200 fires caused by portable electric heaters each year. The CPSC says the following safety guidelines should always be followed when using space heaters:Never leave the heater on while unattended or while you’re sleeping. Make sure the heater is placed on a stable, level surface where it cannot be knocked over.