Incumbent Republican state Rep. Bobby Payne won 77% of the vote in the August primary for Florida House District 20, which covers eastern Alachua County and northwestern Marion County.
Since no Democrat or other candidates are seeking this office in the November general election, this primary was open to all voters and Payne has won re-election.
While voting in this race has ended, scroll down to read Payne’s responses to our candidate questionnaire -- in his own words.
Your family: N/A
Political experience: 6 years as a State Representative
We asked our most-loyal viewers (News4Jax Insiders) what three issues they would most like candidates to address:
Viewers’ No. 1 issue: The economy
- Florida has done a great job remaining open for business in the last few years. The policies of the Conservative Legislature and the Governor have allowed us to exceed revenues by billions. One example as the House Ways and Means Chair, I was able to pass legislation this year that amounts to approximately $1.2 billion dollars over the next two years in tax free holidays to the citizens of Florida. I will continue to fight for low taxes, balance budget and conservative spending for Florida taxpayers.
Viewers’ No. 2 issue: Voter rights/election integrity
- I stand for voters rights, election integrity, fight voter fraud. Several bills that I have sponsored over the last few years reflect that position including stopping petition harvesting and influence by out of state billionaires who want to influence Florida election laws with referendums on the ballot.
Viewers’ No. 3 issue: Gun rights/gun safety
- I support the 2nd amendment of the constitution. Passed a law in 2016 that placed the burden of proof in a stand your ground case on the state and not the defendant. I have an A rating by the NRA.
News4Jax asked each candidate three additional questions to help voters determine which most agrees with their views:
What do you see as the top three issues facing the state and nation over the next two years?
- Inflation (economy), education and the environment.
Do you believe Joe Biden is the legitimately elected president of the United States?
- He was certified elected, yet tremendous controversy still exits as to the legitimacy. Our Secretary of State a fellow Legislator Cord Byrd is in agreement that he was Duly elected, so I most agree he was.
In light of the Supreme Court ruling striking down Roe v. Wade, would you propose or support additional laws either banning abortion entirely or guaranteeing reproductive rights?
- The Florida Legislature passed law this year that changed abortion this year from 24 weeks to 15 weeks of viability. I supported the bill and voted yes. I believe life begins at conception and not at birth, however we left opportunities for abortions up to 15 weeks that allows time to make those decisions if necessary. I support current Florida legislation and look forward to future debates on this issue.
How can you help voters in a way that others running for this office cannot?
- My life experience in business (38 years), conservative record, community service and strong position in the House Leadership make me uniquely qualified to continue to serve the people of district 20.
What would you hope to be remembered for accomplishing after serving in this office?
- A strong leader that served the district well. My bills such as the clean water ways act, passing the largest tax free package in the state of Florida and making a difference for the lives citizens in the district district and throughout Florida in order to improve their quality of life.
Campaign website: bobbypayne.net