JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Florida's back-to-school sales tax holiday will last from Friday, August 5 through Sunday, August 7.
During that period, no sales tax or local option tax (also known as discretionary sales surtax) will be collected on purchases of:
- Clothing, footwear and certain accessories selling for $60 or less per item
- Certain school supplies selling for $15 or less per item
This holiday does not apply to:
- Any item of clothing selling for more than $60
- Any school supply item selling for more than $15
- Books that are not otherwise exempt
- Personal computers and computer-related accessories
- Rentals or leases of any of these items
- Repairs or alterations of any of these items
- Sales of clothing or school supplies in a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment or airport
The 2016 sales tax holiday is scaled back from ten days to three days. Also, last year the tax holiday included clothing items that cost $100 or less. This year it's $60 or less. Computers were also included in previous tax holidays but those are not covered this year.