Crime Stoppers: frequently asked questions
JACKSONVILLE, FLa. – First Coast Crime Stoppers services six counties: Duval, Nassau, Clay, Baker, Bradford and Union.
Three ways to provide a tip that are 100 percent anonymous:
- Call toll free: 1-866-845-TIPS (8477)
- Submit a tip online: FCCrimeStoppers.com
- Submit a text message tip: Start your text with Tip326 and then your reported information. Send to CRIMES (274637)
(Anyone who calls from outside the First Coast Crime Stoppers area will be transferred to the agency in their area.)
How do I remain anonymous?
- The call center in Canada does not have call display or electronic recording devices.
- Tipsters will not be asked for your name, where you live, or how you got the tip.
- Tipsters will be given a tip code number which will correspond to the crime being reported.
Am I eligible for a reward for information that I've already given to the authorities?
- If you have information that will help solve a crime and you want to be eligible for a reward, you must call the Crime Stoppers toll-free tips hotline first. Tipsters can make weekly routine checks on their reported tips by calling the local Crime Stoppers office at 904-398-3775 (no caller ID) on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. using the provided tip code number.
When is the reward paid?
- Rewards are paid for an arrest; you don't have to wait for a conviction. Rewards can be up to $3,000 and possibly more if a citizen, business, etc. wishes to donate more money to a specific reward.
How long does it take to receive a reward?
- The entire process, from the time of the arrest until the reward is ready to be picked up, can take up to 60 days.
Who decides if a reward will be paid?
- Once the arrest is verified, the First Coast Crime Stoppers Board of Directors, made up of volunteers from throughout the area, meets on a monthly basis to evaluate arrests and to decide on the size of rewards to be paid up to $3,000.
How is the amount of the award determined?
- The reward amounts are determined by the FCCS Board of Directors at their monthly meeting. The board reviews each reward recommendation based upon the severity of the crime and with input from the law enforcement agency that is investigating the case.
Where does the reward money come from?
- First Coast Crime Stoppers operates with funds obtained through a special Florida Crime Stoppers Trust Fund grant. When people are convicted of any criminal offense, $20 of their court fees goes toward Crime Stoppers in adherence to a Florida statute (938.06). However, because so many people don't pay, Crime Stoppers has to request donations and hold fundraisers.
Once a reward is approved, where does the tipster go to pick it up?
- A designated local bank. No ID is required and no questions are asked.
How can you donate to First Coast Crime Stoppers' reward fund?
Three ways to contribute:
- Mail donation check to: First Coast Crime Stoppers, P.O. Box 47875, Jacksonville, FL 32247
- Pay online at FCCrimestoppers.com using the PayPal link. Click on the "Support Us" tab, and then the "Donate button."
- By credit card payment during News4Jax phone bank from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday.
Copyright 2015 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.