77ºF

Woman, dog safe after rental home catches fire

Woman was in shower when she smelled smoke, got out, got dog to safety

photo

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Fire broke out inside a South Riverside home around 8:30 a.m. Saturday, but the woman and a dog who lived there got out safely.

The woman said she smelled smoke while in the shower, jumped out and got outside safely with her dog, then called 911.

The home at the corner of Davidson St. and Fleet St. was not equipped with a smoke detector. The woman said she saw flames in a bedroom closet.

The city fire inspector said the cause of the fire was electrical, caused by the water heater which was located in a closet in the home. 

The woman has renter's insurance and those inspectors will determine if the fire was caused because the water heater was faulty or because it was improperly installed.

The woman, who did not want to be identified, has been renting the home for about nine months and is now staying with family in Orlando.

 


About the Authors: