Man accused of shooting Daytona Beach officer arrested near Atlanta

Othal Wallace charged with attempted first-degree murder

A multi-agency manhunt for a man accused of shooting a Daytona Beach police officer in the head ended early Saturday morning when he was captured near Atlanta, authorities said.

Othal Toreyane Resheen Wallace, 29, is accused of shooting Daytona Beach Officer Jason Raynor, 26, after Raynor approached Wallace as he sat in a vehicle Wednesday night. Raynor has been hospitalized since then.

Wallace is charged with attempted first-degree murder of a law enforcement officer with a firearm.

Daytona Beach Police Chief Jakari Young said at a news conference Saturday morning that Wallace was found in a treehouse on a 3-acre property outside in Atlanta during the execution of a search warrant about 2:30 a.m. Saturday by U.S. Marshals, the FBI, Homeland Security Investigations, Georgia State Patrol and police. Young said several firearms and multiple flash-bang grenades were also found in the treehouse and more weapons were recovered on the property.

Police said the property is affiliated with a Black nationalist paramilitary organization.

Four other people were located on the property, Young said.

Police used Raynor’s handcuffs to arrest Wallace.

“He made a statement: ‘You guys know who I am. You know what I am capable of. It could’ve been a lot worse,’” Young said after Wallace’s capture.

Othal Wallace, the man accused of shooting Daytona Beach officer in the head, is in police custody. He was captured in Atlanta around 2:30 this morning.

The Volusia County Sheriff’s Office offered a $100,00 reward for information about Wallace’s location. The reward increased to $200,000 on Friday.

U.S Marshals, the FBI Jacksonville Division, Homeland Security, GSP and multiple police departments assisted the Daytona Beach Police Department in the search.

“Just the surveillance and technology that was used was phenomenal that ultimately led up to his arrest,” Young said.

Wallace was in custody in DeKalb County, Georgia, at last check and was expected to be returned to Daytona Beach.

Raynor, who has been with the Daytona Beach Police Department for three years, had emergency surgery at Halifax Health Medical Center. He was showing some improvement but has a long way to go, the Police Department said. A GoFundMe has been set up to help Raynor in his recovery.

“I have the permission of his mother and sister to let everyone know they greatly appreciate the support they received and request we keep Officer Raynor in our prayers,” Young said.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis shared a message Saturday morning: “There is no place for hate in Florida. Our law enforcement will be protected. Justice will be swift.”

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said: “Our family and the people of Georgia are praying for Officer Raynor’s full recovery!”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.