ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – One man is dead after being shot by police in St. Augustine Sunday evening, according to St. Augustine Police Department.
The St. Augustine Police Department and St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office arrived at South Dixie Highway and Isabel Street around 5:13 p.m. where they found a man armed with a handgun.
Officers and deputies say the man was sitting on the porch of a home pointing a gun at his head and chest threatening to kill himself.
After negotiating the man put the gun down and grabbed at least two knives leaving the porch and charging toward officers and deputies with a knife in each hand.
Officers and deputies then shot 40mm rounds until the man was down.
The man was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries where he later died. No officers or deputies were injured in the shooting.
A woman said the man looked distraught as she watched and recorded everything from inside a business.
In the video, you can see a man sitting on a porch. Multiple officers are standing by a patrol car on the opposite side of the street. The man walks down to the street and you see officers carrying rifles.
“They had the big guns out. I didn’t know what was finna go on,” said the woman.
The officers involved in the shooting were placed on administrative leave while the shooting is being investigated.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255 (TALK); 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Text TALK to 741741 (suicide)
- Text HOME to 741741 (crisis)
- Children Home Society’s Family Support: Warm Line 1-888-733-6303 (chslistens.com)
- United Way: Dial 211 for 24-hour crisis intervention and suicide prevention
- The Vinson Foundation: Helping Families Coping with Suicide Loss (https://thevinsonfoundation.org/)
- Heretomorrow: Helpline in Neptune Beach available Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-8 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday 10 a.m.-6 p.m. -- (904) 372-9087 (heretomorrow.org)
- LSF Health Systems: 24/7 ACCESS TO CARE LINE: (877) 229-9098 (https://www.lsfhealthsystems.org/)