Flies, raw sewage among 19 violations found at Jacksonville Red Robin

6 high-priority violations reported; most issues fixed during inspection

By Crystal Chen - Assignment editor/reporter

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The newly opened Red Robin chain restaurant across from the St. Johns Town Center was busted by health inspectors for nearly 20 violations. 

Just four months after opening its doors at the Strand near the Town Center, Red Robin failed an inspection with 19 health violations.

Red Robin is known for its burgers, brews and, of course, bottomless fries.

But that wasn't the focus during a visit from the health inspector last week. 

The restaurant was cited for six high-priority violations, including live flies found in the kitchen, food prep area and bar.

Raw sewage was found on the ground near the back door, and a stop sale was issued for potentially hazardous food, such as fish and milk, that was at the wrong temperature.

According to the report, the violations could lead to a food-borne illness. 

The majority of the issues were fixed while the inspector was there, according to the report.

In a second visit two days later, the restaurant only had two violations, both regarding paperwork.

The restaurant was not shut down. This was its first failed inspection.

Red Robin is due for a follow-up visit. 

A Red Robin spokesperson sent News4Jax the following statement Thursday night:

The health and safety of our Guests and Team Members is a top priority for Red Robin and we believe we have strong health and food safety protocols.  After a recent Health Department inspection, the St. Johns Town Center Red Robin management team took actions to ensure that the restaurant is in full compliance with Health Department requirements and Red Robin's own food safety standards. Based on a followup Health Department inspection, we've been informed by the Health Department that the only outstanding issue is additional food safety training for some restaurant Team Members, and that training is in the process of being completed. All other items have been corrected and the restaurant remains open to serve our Guests."

Copyright 2017 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.