Giants return, so do some players, but Padres INF Mateo out

Full Screen
1 / 2

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Washington Nationals starting pitcher Max Scherzer throws during a baseball training camp workout at Nationals Park, Wednesday, July 8, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

As Major League Baseball cautiously tiptoes closer toward beginning its delayed 2020 season, several teams welcomed back players who might have been exposed to the coronavirus, and the San Francisco Giants resumed workouts Wednesday after finally receiving the results of COVID-19 tests administered over the weekend.

The San Diego Padres, however, revealed that newly acquired infielder Jorge Mateo’s intake test for coronavirus came back positive and he’s experienced symptoms. Mateo was obtained last week from Oakland for a player to be named or cash in the first trade since the transaction freeze was lifted.

Padres manager Jayce Tingler said Mateo has not been to the ballpark and is self-isolating.

San Diego announced last week that outfielder Tommy Pham tested positive for coronavirus and was asymptomatic. He has not yet rejoined the team.

In Boston, third baseman Rafael Devers practiced at Fenway Park for the first time since the Red Sox opened summer camp. Devers and an unspecified number of other players were working out at nearby Boston College and have since tested negative three times.

When tests reveal “pending” or inconclusive results, the Red Sox have decided to keep those players out of full-team workouts — even if a player hasn’t had a positive test.

“We have to be overly cautious,” manager Ron Roenicke said.

Devers batted .311 with a league-leading 54 doubles, 32 homers and 111 RBIs in 2019. He is scheduled to get a few at-bats when the Red Sox hold their first intrasquad scrimmage on Thursday.