Contemplating life and death with a 6-year-old at bedtime
Jun. 12—I leaned in to give Arlie her goodnight kiss, eager to be done with our too-long bedtime ritual so that I could spend a bit of time with my wife before inevitably falling asleep in the living room from exhaustion. That's when she whispered the horrible thing. "I think Granddaddy's going to die first." I pulled back, my face transforming from the pre-kiss pucker to wide-eyed surprise as ...news.yahoo.com
Airing Grandma’s Dirty Laundry coming to the Ritz
Florida author and playwright showcases her Award winning novel turned stage play Airing Grandma’s Laundry and Other Hush Hush Family Secrets will debut Saturday May 7, 2022 at the historic Ritz Theatre. Local actors are featured in a story that will resonate with most everyone when it comes to buried family secrets coming to light.
Jacksonville Fire & Rescue looking for people to join its apprentice program
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department is seeking young men and women to join its apprentice program. The program focuses on people in specific Jacksonville ZIP codes (see details below). The apprentice program has been around since 2016. Dwayne Lee, who went on to become a Jacksonville firefighter, was the first person to graduate from the program. He graduated from the apprentice program in fall 2017 and became a Jacksonville firefighter in January 2018.
25,000 fireworks are recalled after a boy loses his hand
CNN Video(CNN) - With Independence Day drawing near, a recent tragedy and subsequent recall highlight the possible dangers of rockets and other explosives: Grandma's Fireworks in Indiana recalled 18 products, totaling 25,000 individual fireworks, after an explosion caused a boy to lose his hand, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said this week. The recalled fireworks are overloaded with pyrotechnics, which produce a loud noise and have been known to result in a greater than expected explosion. Overloading fireworks violates the federal regulatory standard for this product, according to the safety commission, which is charged with protecting public safety. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives investigated the fireworks, which were made in China and sold by Grandma's Fireworks from January 2009 through April. Chris Hannon, co-owner of Grandma's, told WLWT that she was "crushed" by the boys' injuries.
12/15: Los Angeles schools shut down over bomb hoax; Grandma cleans up mean streets of Milwaukee
Los Angeles officials defended a decision to close the entire school system Tuesday in response to a terrorism threat that turned out to be fake; Jericka Duncan reports from Buffalo, N.Y., where residents have been grabbing their golf clubs instead of snow shovels.cbsnews.com