Is there any better feeling than doing something nice for someone else? The satisfaction that comes with doing a good deed or random act of kindness is often its own reward.
And that’s the kind of energy we’re trying to spread in 2021 as we embark on a Positively Jax campaign to make Jacksonville a better place and find ways to brighten other people’s days.
SIGN UP: Join the Positively Jax movement
If that sounds like your sort of thing, you’re in luck. We’ve stockpiled a list of suggestions for you to make a difference in someone else’s life this year. Below are some ideas:
- Buy someone’s coffee (even just the car behind you at Starbucks);
- Pick up a stranger’s tab for carryout, or pay for car behind you somewhere like McDonald’s;
- Offer to pick up a neighbor’s groceries;
- Rake a neighbor’s leaves or help with yard work;
- Email a hospital, nonprofit group or business in town and ask if or how you could help;
- Clean up a park or a beach;
- Tip your bill;
- Buy gift cards from a local business;
- Volunteer to watch someone’s kids, if you’re able to and that feels safe to you;
- If you sew, make or donate masks, or other other pandemic-related items;
- Call the library and ask how you can help;
- Donate blood or plasma;
- Do a truly random act of kindness for someone else;
- Find blankets around the house and drop them off at a homeless shelter in need;
- Find kitchen items, clothing, etc., and drop things off at Goodwill or Purple Heart;
- Give a gift or a card to your postal worker;
- Scan your surroundings, next time you’re out: Who needs help with holding doors or reaching items on high shelves?
- Make double next time you’re preparing dinner: Gift the other pan of lasagna to a neighbor;
- Send someone a handwritten letter or a card.
Hopefully that helped you decide on one or two ways you can be of service. Once you’ve done your good deed, upload a photo to SnapJax or tell us what you’ve done using the form below: