JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Time to switch things up.
The Jaguars put a pause on their morning practices and instead practiced in the evening on TIAA Bank Field on Monday. Doug Pederson said he just wanted to switch things up a bit. Even with the shake-up in timing and location, the Jaguars stuck with Pederson’s camp plan that scheduled a full padded physical practice.
The physicality was there. The practice had multiple big hits and even a few after-play exchanges between teammates. Pederson even yelled for perhaps the first time during training camp, telling the defense to give the QB some space and “stay off his arm.”
The practice was a bit of a tug of war between the offense and defense, with both units making its share of plays. But the edge on the day has to go to the offense. Zay Jones and Christian Kirk looked dynamic throughout the entire practice. Jones even scored a long touchdown during a team period where the offense was driving the ball with hopes of getting a field goal. Jones also almost came down with another catch in the end zone. We need to go to the review booth on the play. Coaches said he only had one foot in but it looked like he may have dragged the toe.
The offense may have won the battle in the tug of war but the play of the night goes to the defense. CJ Beathard was looking for Marvin Hall deep down the field and Chris Claybrooks came up with a diving interception. This play has to be in the conversation for the best catch of camp.
- James Robinson was in a noncontact jersey and participated in drills but not in the 11 on 11 portions of practice.
- Devin Lloyd also did not participate in the 11 on 11.
- Travon Walker and Josh Allen are pushing one another. Allen was talking trash to Walker while the pair worked on their gets-offs after the snap. Allen and Walker were also playing rock, paper, scissors to see who would get to go next during pass-rushing 1 on 1s. They have the makings of a dynamic duo for the Jaguars defense for years to come.
- Speaking of Walker. Solid practice from the rookie. He battled with Cam Robinson during 1 on 1′s and sacked Trevor Lawrence during 11 on 11.
1 on 1— Jamal St. Cyr (@JStCyrTV) August 16, 2022
Travon Walker Vs Cam Robinson pic.twitter.com/o8sG2NzRki
- Rough day for Evan Engram. He had a pair of drops down the field during the final team period of practice. Engram spent time after practice was over working with Trevor Lawrence.
- DaVon Hamilton looks like a force in the running game. Hamilton stuffed more than a few running plays at the line of scrimmage.
11 on 11 (Live)— Jamal St. Cyr (@JStCyrTV) August 15, 2022
Trevor Lawrence handoff to Ryquell Armstead
DaVon Hamilton there again for the stop
- Big day for Andrew Wingard. He came up with an interception during 7 on 7 and laid a big hit on Jeff Cotton.
- Chad Muma is getting more comfortable in the defense and he is starting to make plays all over the field. His speed is legit.
- Safeties are going to bring the heat. Throughout camp, it has been a theme of seeing safeties in the backfield. Wingard and Andre Cisco both came up with sacks on Monday.
- Xavier Crawford is a guy to keep an eye on. The coaching staff likes Crawford. He got a ton of playing time against the Browns with the No. 2′s. With Crawford firmly in the conversation, that puts two draft picks, Buster Brown and Gregory Junior, both firmly on the roster bubble.