PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. – Putnam County on Sunday opened an addition shelter in Palatka. The pet-friendly shelter is at 722 PRC Way, the site of the former Alorica Call Center.
County officials on Wednesday declared a local state of emergency.
On Friday, the Putnam County Emergency Operations Center was at Level 1 Activation, which means it is staffed.
The Citizens Information Call Center is open. The phone number to call is 386-329-1904. For recorded information and a daily situation report, call 386-326-7132.
To subscribe your mobile device to receive real-time emergency alerts, go to www.PutnamAlert.com.
Prepare your home:
- Secure loose rain gutters and downspouts and clear any clogged areas or debris to prevent water damage to your property.
- Reduce property damage by retrofitting to secure and reinforce the roof, windows and doors, including the garage doors.
- Purchase a portable generator or install a generator for use during power outages. Remember to keep generators and other alternate power/heat sources outside, at least 20 feet away from windows and doors and protected from moisture. Never try to power the house wiring by plugging a generator into a wall outlet.
- If you have taken the time to prepare your home, and your area is not in an evacuation order, consider sheltering in place. Protect windows and doors from flying debris.
- Bring patio furniture, garden tools, garbage cans and toys inside so they don’t become flying objects during storm winds. Anchor objects that are unsafe to bring inside, such as gas grills or propane tanks, in anticipation of storm winds.
Additional online resources:
- Putnam County Emergency Management: Frequently asked questions and important numbers
- http://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/emergency-preparedness-and-response/prepareyourself/index.html (Special needs, functional and access needs information)
Superintendent Rick Surrency made the decision to cancel schools in Putnam County for Friday and Monday.
Decisions about school closures after Monday will be announced later.
Other closures, cancellations
Please note that all County Parks and Recreation facilities are closed Friday through Monday due to Hurricane Irma. Facilities are scheduled to reopen on Tuesday. Programs may not be offered. If you plan to visit one of our facilities next week, please try to call first to assure we are open.
Putnam County 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony scheduled for Monday morning at the Putnam County
Government Complex has been canceled due to the inclement weather concerns.
Community Day of Prayer at Courthouse Gazeebo on 9/11 is canceled.
Evening Service for Patriot Day and National Day of Service is canceled.
Other cancellations and closures can by found at the Putnam County Chamber of Commerce website.
American Red Cross shelters will be opening at 1 p.m. Saturday. If you need additional information, please call 386-329-1904.
- Interlachen Elementary School American Red Cross Shelter 251 S. State Rd. 315 Interlachen, Florida 32148
- Ochwilla Elementary School American Red Cross Shelter/ Pet Shelter 299 N. State Rd. 21 Hawthorne, Florida 32640
- Q.I. Roberts Jr. – Sr. High School American Red Cross Shelter 901 State Rd. 100 Florahome, Florida 32140
- Browning-Pearce Elementary School American Red Cross Shelter 100 Bear Blvd. San Mateo, Florida 32187
- Middleton-Burney Elementary School American Red Cross Shelter 1020 Huntington Rd. Crescent City, Florida 32112
- Kelley Smith Elementary School Special Needs Shelter 141 Kelley Smith School Rd. Palatka, Florida 32177
You must preregister for the special needs shelter at https://snr.floridadisaster.org/Signin?client=putnam.
Ride Solutions is waiving all transportation fees. Citizens in need of transportation should contact the EOC call center so their request can be submitted to Ride Solutions.
When the shelters open, people should remember to bring medicine, personal hygiene items, bedding and any other items for comfort. However, the space they will be allocated is small so limit what is brought. Meals and drinking water will be provided.