wjxt logo

Jacksonville man, 19, arrested in Terry Parker High shooting

Shooting suspect apprehended after Camden County traffic stop

Photo does not have a caption

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A 19-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a shooting that unfolded outside a spring football game Friday night at Terry Parker High School.

Arthur Davin Jones III was taken into custody on a warrant for attempted murder after a traffic stop about 7:20 p.m. Wednesday on Interstate 95 in Camden County, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office. He's being held on $500,000 bond at the Duval County jail.

Jones was identified as the suspect in Friday's shooting following interviews with several witnesses, the Sheriff's Office said. Messages posted by the agency on social media described him as a "documented gang member," but the posts did not specify his gang affililation.

The shooting played out about 9 p.m. that night on school property just outside the fenced-in area of the football field with just four minutes remaining in the game between Terry Parker and Ribault. Police do not suspect the shooting was random, saying preliminary details suggest the victim was targeted.

"The possibility of gang involvement does exist," JSO Chief of Investigations T.K. Waters said.

The victim, identified by family as 16-year-old Raines High School student Shammon Mickens, was taken to an area hospital with a gunshot wound to the chest. Reached at home Thursday, Mickens' brother said his family was relieved when they learned of the arrest Wednesday. He said his brother is still in the hospital, but loved ones are hopeful he'll be released soon.

Several police cars could be seen Thursday afternoon lined up outside the Arlington area high school.

Some parents were also on hand, including Artrina Baker, who said parents need to remain vigilant. "We've got to be responsible parents, stay on our kids no matter what," Baker said. "I stay on my son every day all day, no matter what. He don't like it, but oh well."

An estimated 1,000 to 1,500 people were inside the stadium when gunfire rang out, Duval County Schools Police Department Director Micheal Edwards said immediately after the incident. Edwards, who did not release how many officers were assigned to cover the event, said everyone going into the stadium was screened by officers equipped with metal detector wands.

Last week's shooting comes after one person was killed and two more injured in a shooting outside the gates of the Raines-Lee football game during Week 1 of the 2018 season.

Anyone with additional details about Friday's shooting is asked to contact the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office by calling 904-630-0500 or via email: JSOCrimeTips@jaxsheriff.org. To remain anonymous and be eligible for a financial reward, call Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS.

About the Authors:

A Florida transplant with Midwest roots, Garrett Pelican is the digital executive producer for News4Jax.