As St. Johns County deputies investigate the murder of Tristyn Bailey, a 13-year-old girl found dead Sunday evening hours after her family reported her missing, News4Jax is piecing together a timeline of events related to the case. Though few details have been released, Sheriff Robert Hardwick announced Monday that investigators have arrested a 14-year-old boy and charged him with second-degree murder in Bailey’s death. Below, we’ve compiled a timeline of events related to the investigation:
RELATED: Teenage boy arrested in death of Tristyn Bailey | Searchers find body believed to be St. Johns County girl | Community rallies around family of teen found dead
Timeline of events
- 12 a.m. Sunday: The last time Tristyn Bailey’s family saw her, according to the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office.
- 1:14 a.m. Sunday: Bailey was last seen at the Durbin Amenity Center in the Durbin Crossing community in northwest St. Johns County, the Sheriff’s Office tweeted.
- 1:45 a.m. Sunday: Two people matching clothes worn by Tristyn and Aiden Fucci were seen walking together on video surveillance from a home on Saddlestone Drive.
- 3:27 a.m. Sunday: Same surveillance camera shows only one individual walking by in the other direction.
- 10 a.m. Sunday: Tristyn Bailey’s family calls 911 to report the teenage girl missing, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
- 10:59 a.m. Sunday: The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office posts a message on Facebook asking for information regarding the whereabouts of 13-year-old Tristyn Bailey.
- 2:28 p.m. Sunday: The Sheriff’s Office posts a follow-up tweet, seeking information on the teen’s location after she was reported missing by her family.
- 4:49 p.m. Sunday: The Florida Department of Law Enforcement activates a Missing Child Alert for Tristyn, asking the public to contact law enforcement.
- 6 p.m. Sunday: A body is recovered during the search for Tristyn Bailey. Investigators have made a preliminary identification of the body, which was found in the woods at the south end of a retention pond east of the cul-de-sac on Saddlestone by a man searching his neighborhood, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Deputies noted this was 0.3 miles from the home where Fucci lived.
- 7 p.m. Sunday: The Durbin Crossing neighborhood notifies residents that the community’s North Amenity Center will be closed until further notice.
- 7:08 p.m. Sunday: The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office confirms the search for the 13-year-old girl has been called off; no further details immediately provided.
- 8 p.m. Sunday: Sheriff Robert Hardwick announces authorities have recovered a body believed to belong to Tristyn Bailey. The sheriff says there’s no further danger to the community.
- 3:33 a.m. Monday: After items with blood on them and clothes matching those Fucci was seen wearing in the video were found during a search of his bedroom and he made statements to detectives, Fucci was arrested and booked at the St. Johns County jail.
- 11:45 a.m. Monday: Hardwick announced investigators have a suspect, 14-year-old Aiden Fucci, in custody on a second-degree murder charge in Bailey’s death.
- 8:30 a.m. Tuesday: Fucci makes his first court appearance, going before Circuit Judge Michael Orfinger at the Volusia County Regional Detention Center. It’s unclear if he’ll be charged as an adult.
This timeline is based on details from authorities that were immediately available to News4Jax. It will be updated as we learn more about the teen’s disappearance and death.