71ºF

Palms Hotel fire evacuates guests

photo

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Guests at the Palms Hotel at the corner of East Adams Street. were allowed to return to their rooms around 5:30 a.m. after an early morning evacuation due to a fire.

Jacksonville Fire and Rescue responded to the scene. The hotel manager says he believes the cause of the fire is from a cigarette that was left on a mattress. The only damage was on the mattress.

"We found a small mattress fire and when we got in there, we got it under control, accounted for all the residents, and got them out of the building."said JFRD District Chief, Jack Griggs. 

One guest says he woke up to smoke. "When it first hit me, I was just hoping the house wasn't on fire. There was a lot of smoke when I went to the bathroom and I smelled smoke in the hallway." said Victor Perez.