72ºF

Heater blamed for house fire in New Town neighborhood

Family of 3, dog able to escape unharmed

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A space heater started a house fire on Fairfax Street near Edward Waters College on Tuesday night, according to Jacksonville Fire And Rescue Department.

A mom, two children, and their puppy were able to escape the fire that damaged the brick home. They were planning to stay with family on Tuesday night.

JFRD investigators said the fire started in the back bedroom.

While it’s a common area to plug in space heaters, fire officials warn they can be dangerous if you’re not careful. Simple safety measures can keep your family safe. Firefighters said to keep the following guidelines in mind:

  • Keep all furniture at least three feet away from any heating device.
  • Make sure to unplug your space heater when you’re not using it.
  • Never refill a fuel-burning space heater while it’s on or inside your house.
  • Never leave them on when you’re asleep or in a different room.
  • Never use a space heater with a damaged cord
  • Never use a space heater in the bathroom.
  • Do not cover them up.

Read more: Simple tips to staying safe and warm with heaters

It’s important to keep young children away from space heaters. Firefighters also advise people to check and make sure their smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working before they use a space heater.