Police: Shootout, crash on I-95 injures 2

Police: 3 men had disagreement that led to shootout, crash on highway

By Crystal Moyer - Traffic/reporter

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - An investigation is underway after two people were hurt after a shootout that led to a crash on Interstate 95 north of downtown early Tuesday morning, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Just after 2 a.m. police were investigating a crash with injuries in the southbound lanes of I-95 southbound at Eighth Street when they discovered that one of the drivers, 25-year-old Santonio Graham, was shot.

"When officers arrived on the scene, it initially appeared to be a hit-and-run with non-life-threatening injuries. However, shortly there after it became apparent that the driver of the hit-and-run vehicle had actually been shot," said Sgt. Matt Clements.

Clements said a second man returned to the scene with gunshot wounds. Both victims were transported to the UF Health Jacksonville. Police shut down all of I-95 southbound, from Golfair Boulevard to Eighth Street, to investigate.

"It was determined, that one, unknown adult, male, in a vehicle had had some sort of disagreement with two other unknown adult males in another vehicle, somewhere off of Golfair Boulevard, earlier in the evening," said Clements. "All three of those males in the two separate vehicles got onto I-95 south and somehow that disagreement, that argument escalated to unacceptable levels, got onto I-95 south and once they hit I-95 south from Golfair, that's when gunshots apparently started to be fired."

The other men were identified as 22-year-old Craig Baylor and 19-year-old Christian Anderson.

Clements said as shots were being fired from the vehicle, one man got hit and then the drivers began ramming each other causing them to crash.

"The vehicles made impact several times between Golfair and Eighth Street, and they finally came to rest at Eighth Street when they both got into a traffic crash. That made it so that they were inoperable or could not move any further," said Clements.

A four-mile stretch of I-95 southbound was closed for several hours during the investigation, but it reopened by 5:30 a.m.

"The road had to be closed down obviously, because when there's a shooting it becomes a crime scene. It becomes very important then that we make sure that we investigate it fully and that we have the ability for crime scene detectives to get up there and make sure that if there's any evidence up there, that we collect it as an agency and that we do the right thing and be able to process any information that might be there," said Clements.

No arrests have been made, but everyone involved in the case is in custody, according to police.

Copyright 2014 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.