California firefighters were called to an apartment building after a man tried to light a spider on fire, causing widespread damage.
In an attempt to kill the "huge" arachnid by lighting it on fire with a lighter, the spider ran onto a mattress, setting it on fire. The fire spread to the drapes and other flammable items, ultimately causing an estimated $11,000 in damage.
Resident tried to extinguish the fire themselves with a garden hose, but their efforts were unsuccessful. The Redding Record Searchlight reports all residents escaped unharmed, but are now forced to find another place to live.