With October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, many might not know facts and figures about the disease.
In order to bring awareness for both women and men, here are five facts to know about breast cancer, according to Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery.
- 1 in 8 women outside their 40s will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
- 1 in 6 women inside their 40s will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Annual mammograms and monthly self-breast exams are key to early detection and higher survival rate.
- Breast Reconstruction is where the general surgeon does the mastectomy (breast removal) and the plastic surgeon makes a new one. The advancements in technology and science make the options for reconstruction easier to give patients a prettier breast and help restore femininity.
- Men need to check their chests as well since out of every 100 breast cancers diagnosed in the U.S. is found in a man.
Visit this website to find out more information on breast cancer, or schedule a consultation.