Helping children prepare for a hurricane
Understanding what is happening and fighting boredom helps kids through a storm
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Hurricanes and the threat of a storm can cause stress and anxiety, especially in children. When preparing for hurricane season there are a few things you can do to help children through the process.
Using educational tools to help your child understand hurricanes may help ease anxiety. You can turn hurricane season into a learning experience in several ways. Below are resources from FLASH.org to help children understand storms.
- Here is a worksheet explaining the science behind hurricanes
- Here is a tool to teach you child how to track hurricanes
- Here is a worksheet explaining hurricane preparation
Building a Kids Kit That Fits
While you are assembling your own hurricane supply kit, it is a great time for children to build a hurricane supply kit of their own.
WATCH: Hurricane kits for kids
Here are some items to consider for your child's kit:
- Portable battery charger to keep electronics powered after the loss of electricity
- Favorite snacks
- Books and power-free entertainment
- Board games
- Word searches from FLASH.org
Copyright 2019 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.