81ºF

Accused school bus shooter in court

Edgar Robles, 17, charged with 2 counts of attempted murder

photo

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A 17-year-old boy accused of shooting into a Duval County school bus and wounding two girls appeared in court Wednesday for a pretrial hearing.

During the hearing, Edgar Robles' attorneys obtained his school medical records.

They will review them and return to court April 21.

Last month, a judge granted the defense a continuance for Robles, who had been set to go to trial April 4. No new trial date has been set yet.

Robles, who is facing two counts of attempted murder and one count of shooting into an occupied vehicle, will be mentally evaluated before the judge determines whether he is fit to stand trial.

Robles is still being held without bond.

Robles, who is being prosecuted as an adult, was arrested during a traffic stop in Liberty County, Georgia -- about 30 miles south of Savannah. Authorities said he was treated for a self-inflicted gunshot wound, then locked up in a juvenile facility in Georgia until he was returned to Jacksonville to face the charges.

State Attorney Angela Corey made the determination Robles will be tried an adult because the crimes he is accused of are so egregious.

"In the juvenile justice system, as I've said many times, the maximum risk programs can only hold a juvenile 18 to 36 months," Corey said last year. "And crimes like this are not suitable for that type of juvenile sentencing. We need more discretion; we need longer sentences in cases like this."

Tried as an adult, Robles would face a minimum of 25 years in prison if convicted.