2017 Orange Park 'hit-and-run' victim was shot; 2 charged with murder

Clay County Sheriff's Office announces arrests in 2-year-old case

GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Fla. – The arrest of two people in a shooting death in Orange Park that was originally reported as a hit-and-run is bringing some peace to a family that has waited two years for answers.

Dorrien Mann was killed early the morning of Oct. 17, 2017. The Florida Highway Patrol originally investigated his death as a vehicular homicide. When an autopsy later showed the 26-year-old victim had been shot in the head, the Clay County Sheriff's Office began investigating.

News4Jax has learned Ja'Cari Anderson and Henry Williams were planning to steal Mann's car. The arrest warrant indicates Anderson grabbed Mann's keys and got in the driver’s seat. Williams got in the passenger’s side. Mann grabbed the back door and was trying to get inside the car when Anderson shot him. He fell off the car on Cappella Road, so it appeared he had injuries consistent with having been hit by a car.

Following Mann's death, his mother, Helen Williams, was concerned they would never find the people responsible.

"I'm just thinking hit-and-run, but now I'm seeing it's much more complex," she said. "It's devastating."

After dozens of witnesses were interviewed and nearly two years passed, the Sheriff's Office announced the case was solved.

"Investigation shows that this incident occurred during a carjacking," homicide Lt. Mike Calhoun said. "Mr. Mann lost his life during that incident. Obviously, only one person can be responsible, but both were involved in this incident."

On Thursday, the Sheriff's Office announced the arrests, with Anderson, 24, charged with second-degree murder and Williams, 18, charged with carjacking.

Clay County Sheriff's Office booking photos of Ja'Cari Anderson and Henry Williams
Clay County Sheriff's Office booking photos of Ja'Cari Anderson and Henry Williams

"It was not a case that was worked for six months then set to the side and something just developed," Calhoun said. "Detective Vitellaro, Detective Anderson -- they never stopped investigating this case. It took two years to put together."

Williams, who was arrested in May, has already pleaded guilty to carjacking. Anderson, who was arrested earlier this week, is being held without bond in the Clay County Jail.

About the Authors: