JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – It’s a great day to be lazy! October 20 is International Sloth Day.
People all around the world are celebrating the adorable, slow-moving mammal.
To celebrate, we wanted to share some fun facts with you!
- Sloths are great swimmers and can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes underwater.
- Sloths only go to the bathroom once a week and when they go, it’s in the same exact spot.
- Algae and fungus grow on a sloth’s course thick fur.
- Thanks to extra vertebrae in their spine, sloths can rotate their head 270 degrees in either direction.
- Sloths have protruding finger bones that are four-inches long.
- Sloths love their alone time and don’t spend a lot of time with other sloths.
- On average, sloths live between 20 to 30 years.
- A sloth’s stomach has four compartments and it takes up to a month to digest one meal.
- Sloths resemble monkeys or bears but their closest relatives are the armadillo and anteater.
- Sloths sleep up to 20 hours every day.
Did you know you can interact with sloths at the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine?