Answering 5 common questions in preparing for Dorian
Christian Smith with the Red Cross offers answers to the most common questions asked as Floridians prepare for a hurricane.
What are the bare minimum items you need in your hurricane kit?
- Food and water
- Basic first aid kit
- Copies of all your important papers
- Backup batteries for cellphones and other tools
- Prescription and eyeglasses
PRINTABLE: Hurricane supplies checklist
What items might I not be thinking about for my kit?
- Extra clothes
- Things for children to do (books and games)
- Each kit is unique based on the family
- Put it together now while it's still calm and beautiful outside
Can I stay or do I need to evacuate?
- Heed your emergency warnings
- Know your house and the area around it (do you feel comfortable staying if you're not in an evacuation zone?)
- If you need to evacuate, consider where you will go: shelter, friends and family, or somewhere else
- If you need a special needs shelter, register with the city now
IMPORTANT: Know your flood/evacuation zone
Can I take my pet with me?
- Some shelters in Jacksonville are designated to allow pets (check coj.net)
- Check the requirements for bringing your pet
- It's not a drop-off situation -- you have to stay with your pet
RELATED: How to prepare your pet for a storm
How do I prepare my home?
- Walk around your house and do an inventory
- Trim your trees back
- Clean your gutters out
- Remove debris (even garbage cans and flower pots) that could become airborne
- Board up if it's necessary
- Every home is unique to personal needs
Copyright 2019 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.